The board of State Canvassers met and certified the election, meaning recreational weed will become legal in Michigan on December 6, 2018, according to the Secretary of State.
Marijuana will be decriminalized in the state, but you wont be able to purchase it just yet. It could take up to a year for state legislators and businesses to figure out the licencing aspect.
Adults over the age of 21 will be allowed to cultivate,possess and consume marijuana on Dec 6, 2018. Yes you will allowed to grow up to 12 plants at your home.
You would purchase the allowed amount of marijuana from a licensed business. The business would be licensed by the state. The initiative allows cities to decide if they want to allow these in their municipality. The time frame for when businesses could get such a license is unclear. The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs probably won’t be able to issue such licenses until 2019.
You will be allowed to grow your own marijuana, no more than 12 plants at your home. If you have a licence you will be allowed to grow more.
Listed are the license types that would be available:
- Marijuana retailer
- Marijuana safety compliance facility
- Marijuana secure transporter
- Marijuana processor
- Marijuana micro-business
- Class A marijuana grower authorizing cultivation of not more than 100 marijuana plants
- Class B marijuana grower authorizing cultivation of not more than 500 marijuana plants
- Class C marijuana grower authorizing cultivation of not more than 2,000 marijuana plants