Protesters and counter-demonstrators clashed on the streets of Charlottesville, VA today. White nationalists, members of alt-right groups, Confederate groups, anti-patriot organizations, and white supremacists gathered for the Unite the Right rally.
Violence between demonstrators and counter-demonstrators erupted this afternoon. Several people were injured after fights broke out on the streets during the rally organized by White Nationalists and Neo-Confederates.
Governor McAuliffe has declared a state of emergency, while the Charlottesville Police Department has proclaimed an unlawful assembly against the protest.
Law enforcement has asked everyone to leave the area or they will be arrested. However, a crowd is still gathered.
Onlookers and protesters have taken to social media to discuss the events:
Any member of Congress who doesn’t condemn the actual Nazis in #Charlottesville has to go. Coward or sympatheizer, same difference.
— John August (@johnaugust) August 12, 2017
If people of color showed up to protest with weapons and shields it would be handled differently. These are white terrorist #Charlottesville
— Cameron Fortney (@camsforte) August 12, 2017
— I Wicked Love TV (@IWickedLoveTV) August 12, 2017
— ACLU of Virginia (@ACLUVA) August 12, 2017
— STOCK MONSTER (@StockMonsterUSA) August 12, 2017
First Lady, Melania Trump recently tweeted about the unfortunate events:
Our country encourages freedom of speech, but let’s communicate w/o hate in our hearts. No good comes from violence. #Charlottesville
— Melania Trump (@FLOTUS) August 12, 2017
President Trump has yet to respond. We will keep you updated as the story continues.
State Of Emergency Declared In Virginia Over Violent White National Protests
1. White Supremacists March with Torches in Charlottesville1 of 10
2. White Supremacists March with Torches in Charlottesville2 of 10
3. White Supremacists March with Torches in Charlottesville3 of 10
4. White Supremacists March with Torches in Charlottesville4 of 10
5. White Supremacists March with Torches in Charlottesville5 of 10
6. White Supremacists March with Torches in Charlottesville6 of 10
7. White Supremacists March with Torches in Charlottesville7 of 10
8. White Supremacists March with Torches in Charlottesville8 of 10
9. White Supremacists March with Torches in Charlottesville9 of 10
10. Torch march of white nationalists10 of 10