It was a busy but productive Monday, for two of Michigan’s top high school basketball players. Let’s recap.
Rising star Donnie Tillman earns an offer from UNLV
Detroit Cass Tech (Mich.) 2017 forward Donnie Tillman may have just finished up his freshman year but there is no doubt that he is well on his way to becoming one of the top players in the city of Detroit and in the state of Michigan.
In fact, multiple colleges coaches have already begun taking notice of the young star. Back in June, he received his first division one offer from Cleveland State, and on Monday afternoon, Tillman added another offer this time from UNLV, making this his second division one scholarship offer and he hasn’t even started his sophomore season yet.
While it is rare to see freshmen earn such high division caliber offers, it’s not a rarity of Tillman. At 6-foot-6 and 200 pounds, Tillman already has great length and athleticism and when you add that with the fact that he is a relentless rebounder, who provides scoring in the post and from mid-range consistently, you’re talking about a true gem.
If that’s enough, keep in mind that he still has three more years of high school basketball ahead of him. It’s almost scary to think about how much stronger and better this young man will become as he develops his game over the next three years. While he continues to grow, get stronger and develop his game even more, there is no doubt in my mind that as he will continue to gain more offers.
According to reports, Tillman is already receiving interest from Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Detroit Mercy and Eastern Michigan, along with a few other schools. So, with that being said, don’t be surprised if you hear his name again very soon.
2015 point guard Deleon Brown earns an offer from Northern Colorado
A couple of weeks ago, I encouraged people to get to know Grand Rapids Christian (Mich.) 2015 guard Deleon Brown and it seems there are a few college coaches out there doing just that, because on Monday afternoon, Brown informed me that he had received an offer from Northern Colorado.
At this point, Brown latest offer from Northern Colorado, only adds to his already impressive offer list. In the last few months, Brown has received scholarship offers from North Dakota State, Akron, Kent State, Western Michigan and Northern Illinois. Keep in mind that Brown’s growing college interest doesn’t stop there, he is also receiving interest Purdue, TCU, Xavier, Oregon and Indiana.
It’s clear to see why so many college coaches are interested in Brown. He had impressive junior year last season, where he averaged 20 points per game, while shooting 39 percent from beyond the arc and 90 percent from the free throw line.
If that’s not enough, at 6-foot-4, Brown is a smooth combo guard who plays under control and offers plenty of versatility which is something every college coach can appreciate. On the offensive end, he has the ability to take his defender off of the bounce but he also does a good job of getting to the basket and finishing inside. On top of that, Brown also has a nice mid-range game and overall jump shot, that he is able to hit consistently in a dribble pull-up situation or in a catch-and-shoot situation. Then on the defensive side of the ball, he is just as aggressive and because of his length, he is able to play the passing lanes very well.
It’s because of those facts above that I say it’s only a matter of time before he receives more offers. One thing’s for sure, whoever is lucky enough to gain a commitment from him when the time comes, will have gained a talented young man.
Written by LBeasley (Lauren Beasley), Sports Contributor for Radio One Detroit
For more of L-Beasley’s (Lauren Beasley) sports news and in-depth sports content, click here.
The Best Sneakers To Buy This Summer
1. Nike Foamposite "Concord"1 of 35
2. Air Jordan 12 of 35
3. Air Jordan Future3 of 35
4. Air Jordan Future "Gym Red"4 of 35
5. Nike Air Max Bo Jackson5 of 35
6. Nike Air Trainer SC High Prm6 of 35
7. Air Jordan 14 "Thunder"7 of 35
8. Nike Lebron 11 EXT "Kings Crown"8 of 35
9. Nike KD 7 "35kDegrees'9 of 35
10. Nike LeBron 11 low "Sprite"10 of 35
11. Nike Kobe 9 Elite Low "Hyperelite"11 of 35
12. Air Jordan 3LAB5 Black12 of 35
13. Nike Lebron 11 Low13 of 35
14. Nike Kobe IX Premium14 of 35
15. Nike Barkey Posite Max15 of 35
16. Nike LeBron 11 SE16 of 35
17. Asics Gel-Lyte V Cement17 of 35
18. Nike Dunk High Premium SB18 of 35
19. Nike KD 7 "Global Game"19 of 35
20. Air Jordan 14 Sport Blue20 of 35
21. Saucony Grid 900021 of 35
22. Nike Air Flight Huarache Premium QS22 of 35
23. Air Jordan 6 "Spike"23 of 35
24. Bathing Ape x Reebok Instapump Fury24 of 35
25. Jordan Spiz'ike25 of 35
26. Reebok Question Mid "First Ballot"26 of 35
27. Nike KD 727 of 35
28. Air Jordan 3 Sports Blue28 of 35
29. Air Jordan 14 "Ferrari"29 of 35
30. Nike Kobe 9 Elite30 of 35
31. Air Jordan 1 Retro KO High OG31 of 35
32. Nike Foamposite "Suede"32 of 35
33. Air Jordan 6 "Sports Blue"33 of 35
34. Nike KD 7 'Easy Money'34 of 35
35. Nike LeBron 11 "Bidcayne"35 of 35
Cass Tech 2017 F Donnie Tillman and Grand Rapids Christian 2015 G Deleon Brown earn new offers was originally published on wchbnewsdetroit.com