Before Lupita Nyong’o floated down the Oscars red carpet in that whimscial Prada dress that caught fashion lover’s eyes, neither she nor her stylist had actually been to Hollywood’s biggest awards show, but awards season 2014 has made stars of them both.
Just a few weeks after the Academy Awards, Micaela Erlanger (above, center), the woman behind the rainbow of designer looks that have helped raise the “12 Years A Slave” actress’ star power, is now considered one of the top stylists in the country. Erlanger was ranked #3 on “The Hollywood Reporter’s” second annual “25 Most Powerful Stylists” list.
The super stylist was introduced to Oscar-winning star by her first “major” client, “Downtown Abbey ” star Michelle Dockery (above, right). Erlanger first collaborated with Dockery for the 2013 Golden Globes in a Alexandre Vauthier Couture gown that was a hit, so when Dockery worked with Nyoungo on the film “Non-Stop” she spread the word. “Michelle said, ‘When you’re ready, I have the perfect stylist for you,’” recalls Nyong’o. Adds Erlanger, who first outfitted Nyong’o in white-and-gold Prada (No. 7) during the Toronto Film Festival: “The rest is history.”
Erlanger graduated from Parsons The New School for Design with her BA in Design and Management, but it was her six-year tenure as the Senior Stylist and Assistant to Annabel Tollman that she credits as the most significant training experience of her life and career. Surely we’ll be seeing more of her magic touch in the future!
The gorgeous rainbow of designer dresses we saw Lupita in during awards season? Micaela Erlanger did that!
Kerry Washington’s stylist Erin Walsh who has daringly put the actress in belly-baring gowns during her pregnancy, Oprah’s new stylist Kelly Hurliman , and stylist duo, Rob Zangardi and Mariel Haenn who have dressed Rihanna, Solange and now Pharrell also made the list, but while the stylists behind these few Black stars were recognized, there were no Black stylists included.
See the complete list of honorees and pictures of the stylist and their high wattage clients at TheHollywoodReporter.com.
30 Reasons To Be Obsessed With Lupita Nyong'o
1. When Is Lupita Not Classy?1 of 31
2. Lupita Loves Headbands2 of 31
3. Jetsetter3 of 31
4. Selfies With The selfie Queen4 of 31
5. The Oscars From Lupita's Eyes5 of 31
6. Lupita Wears Jewelry From The Heart6 of 31
7. Everyone Loves Lupita7 of 31
8. Lupita Attracts Greatness8 of 31
9. The Bday Girl9 of 31
10. Rain Down On Me10 of 31
11. A Funky Birthday Cake11 of 31
12. Celebrate Good Times, Come On12 of 31
13. Lupita Remains Grateful13 of 31
14. The United Colors Of Lupita14 of 31
15. Who Doesn't Want A Selfie With Lupita?!15 of 31
16. Lupita & Legend16 of 31
17. Mommy & Me17 of 31
18. Trendsetter18 of 31
19. It's Clear, Lupita Has A Big Future Ahead!19 of 31
20. Dalai Lama Anyone?20 of 31
21. Kenya Loves Lupita21 of 31
22. Lupita Makes Late Night Show Rounds22 of 31
23. Lupita Loves Art23 of 31
24. Live, Love & Laugh24 of 31
25. Lupita Wins Big At The NAACP Awards25 of 31
26. Lupita Loves Her #ArtfulFridays26 of 31
27. Lupita Makes Fear Look This Good27 of 31
28. Lupita Jumps For Joy On "Ellen"28 of 31
29. Lupita In Color29 of 31
30. It's Getting Late30 of 31
31. Lupita's Mom Reaps The Benefits Of Her Amazing Job31 of 31
Winner’s Circle: Lupita’s Stylist Ranked #3 In Hollywood was originally published on hellobeautiful.com