Lucky editor in chief Eva Chen is finally speaking out about the magazine’s controversial December/January cover that has everyone asking, “How did they make Kerry Washington look like, well, not Kerry Washington?”
During an interview with WWD, social-media-savvy editor defended what some people are calling an unflattering picture of the “Scandal” star.
“I realize that when you put something on social media, it’s meant to be a conversation,” she told the publication. “I’m still pretty new to this [being an editor in chief]. It’s only been four months, but I’ve been active in social media for a while now. Anything on social media is up for debate.”
She went on to say that Anna Wintour, Vogue editor in chief and Condé Nast’s artistic director, approved of the cover selection.
“Anna as the artistic director was definitely aware of our cover selection and was very supportive,” Chen said. “Anna always provides me with guidance. As editor in chief, it comes down to my decision — and Anna agreed.”
Despite all of the naysayers, the new editor in chief concluded things on a positive note. “Conversation is a good thing,” she stated.
Check out footage from the cover shoot below and tell us your thoughts on Kerry’s look in the comment section.
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery
10 Style Tips From Kerry Washington
1. 10 Style Tips From Kerry WashingtonSource: 1 of 11
2. (1.) Learn How To Channel Your Inner Olivia PopeSource: 2 of 11
3. (2.) Add A LOT Of Color To Your ClosetSource: 3 of 11
4. (3.) Make A Statement With Your AccessoriesSource: 4 of 11
5. (4.) Have Your Freakum Dress ReadySource: 5 of 11
6. (5.) Show A Little SkinSource: 6 of 11
7. (6.) And A Little LegSource: 7 of 11
8. (7.) And Perhaps Some Cleavage TooSource: 8 of 11
9. (8.) Get Retro!Source: 9 of 11
10. (9.) Show Your Animalistic SideSource: 10 of 11
11. (10.) The Little Black Dress Is Your Best FriendSource: 11 of 11
‘Lucky’ Editor In Chief Defends Kerry Washington Cover: ‘Conversation Is A Good Thing’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com