Satirical paper, The Onion took to Twitter to express their disdain for 9-year-old Oscar nominee, Quvenzhane Wallis. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read a tweet from The Onion about the adorable young starlet. Now don’t get me wrong, while I understand The Onion’s humor is satire, Quvenzhane is a CHILD and there’s a certain level of respect that should come along with that.
Check out the hurtful tweet here:
The Onion has since deleted the tweet, so you know what that means–they have taken responsibility for being reckless. Now let’s just wait and see what type of damage control they will do.
The lovable little girl who played “Hushpuppy” in “Beasts Of The Southern Wild” was a heavy topic of conversation because she’s the youngest nominee for a leading role ever, her beautiful name is a mouthful and she’s perfectly sassy. She’s quickly becoming America’s sweetheart, so to see a publication tweet such harsh words against her, perplexes us. There’s absolutely NOTHING Quvenzhane could have said that would warrant this type of harsh humor towards her. She’s 9! Where does The Onion draw the line?
Here are some of the reactions to The Onion’s tweet:
@schemaly have you ever read the Onion? This is what they do—
Kent Winterrowd (@kentw534) February 25, 2013
.@TheOnion Delete it.—
Jessica Luther (@scATX) February 25, 2013
I'm sick to death of assholery passing as wit and satire. You just called a child a perverse sexualized gendered insult @TheOnion—
tressie mc (@tressiemcphd) February 25, 2013
Zakiya Smith (@SmithZakiya) February 25, 2013
@TheOnion Not funny, guys. Really not funny.—
Craig Ranapia (@CMRanapia) February 25, 2013
What do you beauties think about The Onion’s Tweet?
Follow HelloBeautiful On Twitter!
Follow @HelloBeautiful to get daily updates on beauty, fashion and entertainment!—
Hello Beautiful (@HelloBeautiful) October 03, 2012
More On Quvenzhane Wallis:
Check Out This Amazing Oscars Gallery!
Oscars 2013: The Absolute Best (& Worst) Dressed
1. Kelly Rowland in Donna Karan1 of 21
2. Stacy Keibler in Naeem Khan2 of 21
3. Jessica Chastain in Armani Prive3 of 21
4. Charlize Theron in Dior Couture4 of 21
5. Quvenzhane Wallis in Armani Prive5 of 21
6. Robin Roberts in Marc Bouwer6 of 21
7. Reese Witherspoon in Louis Vuitton7 of 21
8. Kerry Washington in Miu Miu8 of 21
9. Zoe Saldana in Alexis Mabille Couture9 of 21
10. Shaun Robinson10 of 21
11. Halle Berry in Versace11 of 21
12. Octavia Spencer in Tadashi Shoji12 of 21
13. Naomi Watts in Armani Prive13 of 21
14. Jane Fonda in Atelier Versace14 of 21
15. Jennifer Hudson in Roberto Cavalli15 of 21
16. Helen Hunt in H&M16 of 21
17. Adele in Jenny Packham17 of 21
18. Queen Latifah in Badgley Mischka18 of 21
19. Jamie Foxx in Calvin Klein with his daughter Corrine Bishop19 of 21
20. Stacy Keibler in Naeem Khan20 of 21
21. Naomie Harris21 of 21
The Onion Uses Derogatory Term To Refer To Oscar Nominee Quvenzhane Wallis was originally published on hellobeautiful.com