Satirical paper, The Onion took to Twitter to express their disdain for 9-year-old Oscar nominee, Quvenzhane Wallis. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read a tweet from The Onion about the adorable young starlet. Now don’t get me wrong, while I understand The Onion’s humor is satire, Quvenzhane is a CHILD and there’s a certain level of respect that should come along with that.
Check out the hurtful tweet here:
The Onion has since deleted the tweet, so you know what that means–they have taken responsibility for being reckless. Now let’s just wait and see what type of damage control they will do.
The lovable little girl who played “Hushpuppy” in “Beasts Of The Southern Wild” was a heavy topic of conversation because she’s the youngest nominee for a leading role ever, her beautiful name is a mouthful and she’s perfectly sassy. She’s quickly becoming America’s sweetheart, so to see a publication tweet such harsh words against her, perplexes us. There’s absolutely NOTHING Quvenzhane could have said that would warrant this type of harsh humor towards her. She’s 9! Where does The Onion draw the line?
Here are some of the reactions to The Onion’s tweet:
@schemaly have you ever read the Onion? This is what they do—
Kent Winterrowd (@kentw534) February 25, 2013
.@TheOnion Delete it.—
Jessica Luther (@scATX) February 25, 2013
I'm sick to death of assholery passing as wit and satire. You just called a child a perverse sexualized gendered insult @TheOnion—
tressie mc (@tressiemcphd) February 25, 2013
Zakiya Smith (@SmithZakiya) February 25, 2013
@TheOnion Not funny, guys. Really not funny.—
Craig Ranapia (@CMRanapia) February 25, 2013
What do you beauties think about The Onion’s Tweet?
Follow HelloBeautiful On Twitter!
Follow @HelloBeautiful to get daily updates on beauty, fashion and entertainment!—
Hello Beautiful (@HelloBeautiful) October 03, 2012
More On Quvenzhane Wallis:
Check Out This Amazing Oscars Gallery!
Oscars 2013: The Absolute Best (& Worst) Dressed
1. Kelly Rowland in Donna KaranSource: 1 of 21
2. Stacy Keibler in Naeem KhanSource: 2 of 21
3. Jessica Chastain in Armani PriveSource: 3 of 21
4. Charlize Theron in Dior CoutureSource: 4 of 21
5. Quvenzhane Wallis in Armani PriveSource: 5 of 21
6. Robin Roberts in Marc BouwerSource: 6 of 21
7. Reese Witherspoon in Louis VuittonSource: 7 of 21
8. Kerry Washington in Miu MiuSource: 8 of 21
9. Zoe Saldana in Alexis Mabille CoutureSource: 9 of 21
10. Shaun RobinsonSource: 10 of 21
11. Halle Berry in VersaceSource: 11 of 21
12. Octavia Spencer in Tadashi ShojiSource: 12 of 21
13. Naomi Watts in Armani PriveSource: 13 of 21
14. Jane Fonda in Atelier VersaceSource: 14 of 21
15. Jennifer Hudson in Roberto CavalliSource: 15 of 21
16. Helen Hunt in H&MSource: 16 of 21
17. Adele in Jenny PackhamSource: 17 of 21
18. Queen Latifah in Badgley MischkaSource: 18 of 21
19. Jamie Foxx in Calvin Klein with his daughter Corrine BishopSource: 19 of 21
20. Stacy Keibler in Naeem KhanSource: 20 of 21
21. Naomie HarrisSource: 21 of 21
The Onion Uses Derogatory Term To Refer To Oscar Nominee Quvenzhane Wallis was originally published on hellobeautiful.com