This season, short hair is showing up everywhere and on everybody. In fact, it really never left the fashion scene! Besides short hair being stylish and generally easy to manage, there are some general “rules” that you should follow so you don’t end up looking a hot mess. Whether your style is smooth, layered and tapered, funky with flips and spikes or maybe it’s a combination, check out the DO’s and DON’Ts of short hair!
* Always condition and moisturize your scalp – remember, when your hair is a short length, you can’t have dandruff or dry scalp and other flakes lingering because it is that much more noticeable.
* Switch up your look – Just because your hair isn’t long doesn’t mean you can’t have fun experimenting with different styles, textures and colors. Try an edgy symmetrical cut, add spikes or have fun with a blond or funky streak. You can never go wrong with classic curls or turn up the heat and get funky with a mohawk!
* Use hair products that make your life easier, such as Luster’s® ShortLooks® Colorlaxer®. Designed for women with short hair and in 3 colors, this No-Lye Relaxer and Color System is the only one that mixes the color serum with the relaxer so you color and relax at the same time, 30 minutes or less. Available in Diamond Black, Sable Brown or Passion Red, it covers gray for women with 20% less gray and it won’t dry your hair because it contains no peroxide or ammonia.
* Apply a good conditioner after a shampoo. It will moisturize and strengthen your hair while giving it extra protection, add natural shine, reduce static and make it easier to untangle.
* Run a silicon-based shine serum through your hair for a more polished look.
* Apply too much heat to your hair without protection like Luster’s® Original or Classic Light Oil Moisturizing Lotion. Since your hair is short, you can’t afford to have dry, split ends due to over curling or over flat-ironing.
* Wear styles that don’t match the shape of your face. Just because a hair cut looks great on your favorite celebrity, doesn’t mean it’s going to look great on you! When in doubt, get a second opinion or expert advice from a hair stylist.
* Let damaged hair ruin your style. If your ends are split and your shine is dull, your hair won’t look be at it’s best. Make sure you use quality hair products in your tresses and trim every 6-8 weeks) to keep it looking healthy and fierce.
* Shampoo your hair everyday. Because ethnic hair is dry by nature versus other types of hair, daily shampooing is not recommended because it strips away the natural oils from your hair that you need. Try shampooing once weekly or biweekly, instead.