Rapper Bushwick Bill of The Geto Boys is not dead, despite reports that surfaced Sunday, according to his family.
The rapper’s son took to Instagram to post an update to a TMZ story that claimed his father had died at the age of 52.
“My dad IS NOT dead, he’s still alive and fighting for his life,” Bushwick Bill’s son wrote. “He needs your continued prayers and support. Certain people have been so quick to write him off as dead so they can capitalize off it, and it’s messed up because y’all really think these people care about him. There is no Geto Boys without Bushwick Bill.”
Bill’s publicist also told TMZ that any reports that he was dead were not true and that he was “still alive and fighting cancer.” She told the site that an incorrect social media post, which has since been deleted, had “spread like wildfire,” leading to rappers like Scarface, who was also a member of The Geto Boys, and Bun B to post tributes to him.
TMZ initially reported that the rapper was dead Sunday morning, but later issued a retraction.
Bill was unable to make a scheduled performance Saturday after undergoing chemotherapy therapy treatments. He was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer in February.
According to reports, The Geto Boys had been planning a farewell tour but Bushwick Bill was upset with the language surrounding it and what he saw as exploitation of his condition.
Promoters canceled the tour the night before it was set to kick off.