Located in the West Adams district of Los Angeles, The Wilfandel House was built in the 1940’s as a society club for affluent blacks. The house catered to Black who desired an upscale event center but weren’t allowed in the large white-only hotels or country clubs.
Run by women who wore white gloves, pearls and hats, the Wilfandel House attracted notice from Blacks around the country. The club became a city staple, hosting summer camps and funding community projects.
With integration, more Blacks moved to clubs that once closed their doors to African-Americans. Without its usual clientele, the Wilfandel clubhouse was used less frequently and with less funds, the house became difficult to maintain.