Source: SoSo Active
Thanks to Frank Ocean, Miguel may not have been the most hyped Grammy contender this year, but he definitely proved that he was capable of great things. Before Miguel makes it big and even further into the spotlight, here are some things you may not know about the R&B singer.
1. He originally wanted to be a dancer.
As a young child, Miguel’s dreams were to be a dancer. However, at the age of 13, Miguel decided to pursue a career in music instead.
2. He was sued by his original record label.
After recording his debut album, his first record label, Black Ice, sued for breach of contract. Miguel reportedly left Black Ice after deciding he wanted to change the sound and image he had created with them.
3. He can play the guitar.
In addition to his silky smooth vocals, Miguel is quite the guitarist.
4. His first album All I Want is You became a sleeper hit.
In the entertainment industry, a sleeper hit is something that rises to commercial success with little promotion or initial success. All I Want is You performed poorly when it was released and was under-promoted, but eventually launched Miguel into the spotlight.
5. Miguel is rather small in stature.
At 5’7″ and a measly 135 pounds, Miguel is a powerhouse instead a tiny frame.
6. He lost his virginity at the age of 18.
In an interview with The Magic Box, admitted to losing his virginity while on a family vacation.
7. He won his first Grammy Award this year.
His song, “Adorn”, brought home the Gramophone for best R&B song beating out songs by artists like Elle Varner and Tamia.
8. Miguel wants to use his music to increase an appreciation for different types of musical styles and genres.
In addition, Miguel also stated about his album, “I just really want to convey the fact that it’s okay to be different, because difference doesn’t make you weird.”
9. His is half Mexican and half African-American.
Miguel cites his own diversity, as well as growing up in the culturally diverse LA, to be an influence on his music and his style.
10. Miguel’s own musical taste is just as diverse and eclectic as he is.
According to the artist. his most played song is “Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts” by Funkadelic. ”It will change your perspective,” he says.
LIKE 105.9 Kiss On Facebook To Keep Up With Your Fave Black Celebs!