Sloane Stephens did what no other teenager has ever done in a Grand Slam: She beat Serena Williams! The 19 year-old defeated the tournament favorite in three sets to enter the semi-final of the Australian Open on Wednesday. This was her first grand slam quarter-final and we’re sure we’ll be seeing more of Sloane.
Here are a few things you need to know about the next big thing in women’s tennis:
1) She started playing tennis at the age of 9.
2) She is currently the youngest woman in the WTA top 40.
3) ) Sloane’s’ father, John Stephens, a pro bowl running back played for the New England Patriots player, and died in 2009.
MUST READ: Serena Williams Loses To Teen
4) Her favorite playing surface is clay.
5) She became the first American to win the prestigious Italian Open Bonfiglio Championship in Milan