When Soul Train launched in 1970 here in Chicago, voiceover work was by Joe Cobb (another WVON radio personality), who continued to be “the voice of Soul Train” for many years along with another Chicago radio legend: Sid McCoy. Cobb was the voice that called out “Sooooooooul Train” on each episode. One more Chicago connection: the first Soul Train theme song was a funky instrumental called “Soultrain” that was by a local outfit called the Ramrods; and the song that took viewers to commercial breaks was “Familiar Footsteps”, a deep, doo-wop drenched slow jam by Chicago’s Gene Chandler.
- Mekhi Phifer stops by the Mason in the Morning show! [Video]
- #MistysMess: Oprah interviews Lindsey Lohan
- Before She Was Famous: Lupita Nyong’o Starred In Super-Sexy Kenyan Soap Opera
- R. Kelly Announces ‘White Panties’ Album, Hints at Project with Mary J. Blige
- iCarly’s Jennette McCurdy Admits She Played Andre Drummond for IG LIkes